How far west can you go before you end up in the
East? A silly question, maybe. Yet I find myself thinking that I am from the
west and so it is important. I have an identity that corresponds with the idea
of being a Westerner. The other day I read something written about the
Southwest. This excerpt said something along the lines of coming to an
untainted land. A land free from cultivated life. This in turn made me think
about how we define cultivated life. Public schooling has taught me that
culture originates in Europe. The Renaissance, after all, changed the history
of the world. This thought got me thinking about the Chinese. In so many ways
the Chinese are, and have been, ahead of the times. There are records of the
Chinese trading with native people all along the western coastline; long before
Louis and Clark tasted Pacific air. To take it a step farther, according to
some people Columbus had studied Chinese maps and he knew exactly where he was
going. These same people believe that Davinci’s work was derived from
manuscripts that originated in Asia. And wasn’t Davinci the epitome of the
renaissance. So really the renaissance originated in Asia; but none of that
really matters because I am a western boy. The only question that seems
important, and relevant to me today, is whether or not the Chinese, throughout
time, have been encouraging their young men to travel west. I’ve always assumed
that to travel west is natural. It is following the sun from beginning to end.
East to West is like birth and death. Even shadows follow the passage of the
sun. So you see, as a person that has grown up believing in the idioms of
western culture, I need to know if the Chinese are heading West; or if they are
coming East.
No comments:
Post a Comment